A ‘Jeremy for Labour’ source last night blamed the publication of the ‘hit list’ on a mistake by a junior member of the media team.
But senior Corbyn allies said that the blunder was “Pound Shop Malcolm Tucker stuff” that ruined party unity just as it was being rebuilt.
On Thursday, McDonnell revealed how angry he had been at the list, although he was careful to stress that he believed it was a ‘factual’ account of the criticisms levelled at Corbyn by his own MPs.
“The thing about last night is it just set us back, and I was furious. Absolutely furious,” McDonnell said.
“And just at a time when we were really rebuilding relationships very well throughout the summer, I hope it hasn’t set us back. And we will certainly have a conversation with all those involved.”
“We will be meeting with all our MPs on any of the issues of concern to them, of course we will. That release came from the campaign, it didn’t come from Jeremy. It was just in appropriate, one of our researchers saw a bit of incoming flak and then did a list of all the statements that had been made by other MPs, some of which were not particularly kind, let’s put it that way.
“It was a briefing note that shouldn’t have gone out and we apologise for that. It certainly wasn’t a list in any way to attack anyone, it was just a factual report.
“But again let’s just dwell on that point. What we are trying to do at the moment is just work with everybody. Whatever happens in the result next week in the leadership election, we’ve all got to come together.
Article source: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2016/09/15/jeremy-corbyn-john-mcdonnell-hit-list-mps-online-abuse-bloomberg_n_12028562.html?utm_hp_ref=uk-politics&ir=UK+Politics