Andy Murray will miss the Australian Open after failing to recover from an injury he picked up at the Davis Cup finals last month.
The 32-year-old only played one match for Great Britain in Madrid after he suffered a problem with his pelvis.
It was initially thought the injury was minor and would not affect his entry in the season-opening ATP Cup or the Australian Open, which would have been Murray’s grand slam comeback.
But he cancelled his training block in Miami and on Saturday his management company announced the Scot would not travel to Australia.
In a statement, he said: “I’ve worked so hard to get myself into a situation where I can play at the top level and I’m gutted I’m not going to be able to play in Australia in January.
“Unfortunately I’ve had a setback recently and as a precaution, need to work through that before I get back on court competing.”
Murray is now back on court, but his team has made the decision not to rush a return to competitive tennis.
Last year, it was at Melbourne Park that Murray revealed the extent of his hip problems during an emotional news conference and said he had contemplated retirement.
He lost a five-set match against Roberto Bautista Agut in what he accepted could have been the final match of his career.
Two weeks later he underwent hip resurfacing surgery that removed the pain which had dogged him for two years and allowed him to begin a comeback at Queen’s Club in June.
In October, Murray won the European Open in Antwerp, but he will now not play a match until February at the earliest.
He will also not be a part of the Great Britain team at the ATP Cup in Australia, which starts on 3 January.