Prosecutors initially wanted to caution Caroline Flack for attacking her boyfriend, but the Metropolitan Police appealed the decision meaning she was charged with assault, an inquest into her death has been told
The family of the tragic television presenter, who was found hanged at her east London flat in February, have accused the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) of seeking to stage a “show trial”, by pursuing criminal charges against her.
But her inquest was told prosecutors had initially decided to let her off with a caution, until the police intervened and asked for the case to be reconsidered.
Miss Flack, who hosted popular TV shows including Love Island and X-Factor, was arrested in the early hours of December 12 last year, after allegedly hitting her boyfriend Lewis Burton over the head with a lamp or mobile phone.
Lisa Ramsarran, deputy chief Crown prosecutor for north London, told the inquest that while there had been enough evidence to charge her, it was felt a caution would be more appropriate, because she had admitted the offence.
But she went on: ”I understand the police did not feel this (a caution) was a suitable disposal in this case.”
Ms Ramsarran explained that the police asked the decision to be reviewed and it was then Miss Flack was charged with assault by beating and summoned to appear at Highbury Corner Magistrates Court on December 23.